Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Introduction / Prologue



Setting

Kareki is a miserable town that lies on the cold northern outskirts of the empire. Were it not for the precious darkwood trees that grow there, no one would bother to try and settle this shithole, that is, at the best of times, dangerously inhospitable. The darkwood is not only light and flexible, but also incredible strong, and will bend without breaking. The wood sells for unimaginable prices and this alone is the reason so many risk their lives living here. The ruler of the land, Daimyo Matsuyoshi, was sent here years ago as punishment. The details are not clear, but the shogun wanted Matsuyoshi alive yet at the same time, far away from the capital. Recently strange events have been occurring, darkness stirs, sickness runs rampant, and the locals tell grim tales of monsters that eat human flesh and the dead who walk. Winter has not broken this year and the locals are beginning to starve as the supply trains they rely upon have had more and more trouble getting through. This growing shadow draws to it heroes, much as a flame draws moths. You are one of these heroes.





 Kuroda’s reports

6th Month / 8th Day
His lordship’s Hatamoto, Kuroda Mitsunari.
This morning one of the locals stumbled into town covered in blood and missing his left hand. He had been on guard duty at the way station between the town and the forest. I managed to speak with him before he lost consciousness, but he was panicked and feverish, the only words I could get out of him were ‘well’, ‘death’ & ‘kappa’. It’s seems he has lost his mind, as kappa are no more than stories told to keep children away from the water’s edge. It must have been some kind of animal, perhaps a bear. I must find out what has happened at the station as soon as possible, without it the logging camps are effectively cut off and the flow of darkwood will slow. Fortunately one of my best woodsmen is in town at the moment training the new conscripts. I will call on him to investigate the situation further.

6th Month / 9th Day
His lordship’s Hatamoto, Kuroda Mitsunari.
I explained the situation to the woodsman Shin and informed him that his services would be required in securing the now assumed to be lost outpost. Shin seemed concerned that if the now dead guard’s story was even partly true, whatever it was had overpowered half a dozen armed men, and most likely, at least the same number of woodcutters. He claimed that no animal he knew could have done this, and that he would need the help of those more knowledgeable about the supernatural. I have called upon the local priest and the village wise woman for advice. I do not wish to trouble his lordship’s onmiyoji with what may well be only a wild beast, but should I gain further evidence of the supernatural I may be forced to call upon his services as well.

6th Month / 10th Day
His lordship’s Hatamoto, Kuroda Mitsunari.
The priest sent a young acolyte, a man who called himself Roun. I had not met this man before today, but the priest vouched for him and told me that he had unique experience with things not of this world. The wise woman sent a hunter, a girl who goes by the name Mitsue. A person of my station would not normally suffer the presence of one of the eta, but this girl was said to possess an understanding of the wilderness that went beyond human ability. I told them that should they bring me evidence that they have killed the creature responsible, they will be handsomely rewarded. They requested supplies for the trip which were given along with two ashigaru who will act as porters. They set out early this morning.

6th Month / 10th Day
matashichi, Ashigaru retainer.
This morning Saro and I were told we would be accompanying a group of people who were heading to the way station to investigate what misfortune had befallen it. We have heard many rumors about the horrors that occurred there a few days ago, and although I am not one to easily believe stories of monsters and demons, I have no wish to visit the place. Saro and I are to act only as porters for the others but I fear that we may not be able to avoid getting involved. So far the journey has gone smoothly, and we have just made camp a couple of miles south of the station. Of our companions we know only one well, Shin the sub commander and trainer of the Ashigaru musket unit. Although he is shunned by many locals for his odd colored eyes, he is well liked amongst the conscripts as a competent leader and skilled soldier. The hunter Mitsue, as one of the eta, is forced to live outside the town walls, but I believe she would choose to do so anyway. I have seen her in town occasionally selling skins and furs, I may have even spoken to her before but I do not recall. Our last companion is a monk known as Roun. To my knowledge he came to town only a few weeks ago and has been staying at the local temple. He seems cordial enough, hopefully I will live long enough to get to know him better.

6th Month / 11th Day
Matashichi, Ashigaru retainer.
I take a moment now to write this as I have just seen something I believed to be possible only in nightmares. As we broke camp this morning our companions persuaded us to accompany them all the way to the way station and support them should the need arise. I would have refused had they not offered Saro and I more money than we could hope to make in our lifetimes.
When our group reached the outpost we found it apparently devoid of life. As we searched the compound we found a lot of blood but no bodies. Hearing a noise from what appeared to be a store house of some type, my companions took up positions around its entrance. My fellow ashigaru, Saro-san went with the hunter Mitsue in order to guard her back as she took position high in a watchtower, and I followed close behind Shin-sama with a bottle of oil at the ready. The Monk Roun-san approached the storehouse and signaled to us that he could not see anything though the windows and that he would now open the door. Using a tree for cover Shin-sama took careful aim with his musket, and as I scanned the top of the tower I noticed Mitsue doing the same. As Roun-san kicked open the barn door and leapt back, the clanging sound immediately stopped and for a few heartbeats nothing happened. It was what I saw next that has shaken me to my core. A hulking form appeared at the doorway, a terrifying amalgamation of man, ape and turtle, it was without a doubt, a kappa, something I had until now thought only to be a myth. It let out a horrifying roar which was answered with a loud crack from Shin-sama’s rifle and the creature reeled from the impact, spraying thick black blood onto the white snow. Almost simultaneously Mitsue let fly with an arrow that skimmed the wall of the barn and struck the monster in its hip. Up to this point, time had felt as if it was moving slower than usual, but suddenly and with impossible speed the creature took off, straight towards the open well. Roun-san moved quickly to intercept the thing, striking its feet out from under it and sending it tumbling into the dirt. I remembered old legends about kappa losing their strength if the water in their head bowels was emptied, but the cursed thing lost only a single drop. As I stood frozen Shin-sama dropped his musket, grabbed his Kanabo and clubbed the beast as it pulled itself to its feet. The blow would have killed a man, as would the second arrow Mitsue shot into its belly, but the thing only staggered, spitting blood as it shook its head and leapt into the mouth of the well. Now that I think about it I would swear it was almost smiling.
We have just now finished securing all the other buildings but my hands still tremble as I write this. The thing is still alive, and perhaps there are more. What will we do next? All the money in the world could not get me to climb down that stinking hell hole. Will any of my companions be brave enough?

To be continued …


 The priest had some information about the creature

No comments:

Post a Comment